Adnan Majid, MD
Chief , Interventional Pulmonology
Associate Professor of Medicine
Dr. Majid’s research is clinical in nature and aims at improving care for patients with lung, airway and pleural disorders. Dr. Majid is currently participating in several industry sponsored clinical trials which range from endobronchial lung volume reduction to lung cancer diagnostic devices. Additionally, Dr. Majid serves as a mentor for several studies initiated by clinical fellows. Dr. Majid’s work is based in the Chest Disease Center, Division of Thoracic Surgery & Interventional Pulmonology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center.
Awards and Recognition
2005 Young Investigator Award for CHEST 2005.
2007 Young Investigator Award for CHEST 2007.
2013 Geoffrey McLennan Memorial Award - In special recognition from peers for valuable contributions made to the field of Interventional Pulmonology, American Association for Bronchology and Interventional Pulmonology.
2015 Teaching Award- In recognition for exceptional and extraordinary contribution to the education and the training of the Tufts University School of Medicine Pulmonary, Critical Care and Sleep Fellows.
2015 Young Investigator Award: Mentor and Co-author with Sebastian Ochoa, Evaluation of Lung Sealants as Suture Replacements in an Ex Vivo Pig Model, CHEST 2015.
2015 Visiting Professor Facultad de Medicina, Universidad Del Desarrollo, Clinica Alemana, Santiago, Chile.
2016 Visiting Professor - 2nd Australian and New Zealand Interventional Pulmonology (ANZIP) Leaders Forum Brisbane, Australia
A full list of Dr. Majid’s published work can be found on My Bibliography.
More information can be found on Dr. Majid's Harvard Catalyst Profile.
- Airway Stents for Excessive Dynamic Airway Collapse- NCT02982876
- Combined Surgical Stapling and Intrabronchial Valves Intervention for Incomplete Lobar Fissures
- Post Approval Study for Bronchial Thermoplasty (PAS2) - NCT01350336
- Lung Volume Reduction Coil for treatment in Patients with Emphysema (RENEW) - NCT01608490
- A Prospective, Randomized, Controlled Multicenter Clinical Study to Evaluate the Safety and Effectiveness of the IBV® Valve System for the Single-Lobe Treatment of Severe Emphysema (EMPROVE) - NCT 01812447
- Lung Function Improvement after Bronchoscopic Lung Volume Reduction with Pulmonx Endobronchial Valves used in Treatment for Emphysema (LIBERATE) - NCT01796392
- A Clinical Study Evaluating the Safety and Effectiveness of a New Pleural Catheter for the Medical Management of Symptomatic, Recurrent, Malignant Pleural Effusions Compared to Approved Pleural Catheter (SWIFT) - NCT02649894
- Safety and Effectiveness of the Spiration Valve System in Air Leaks (VAST) - NCT02382614
- Evaluation of the Archimedes System for Transparenchymal Nodule Access 2 (EAST2) – NCT02867371
- Evaluate the Utility of the ProLung Test as Adjunctive to CT Scan in the Diagnosis of Lung Cancer- NCT01958931
- Fibrinolysis Compared to Medical Thoracoscopy for Pleural Infection- NCT02973139
- Long term outcomes of Tracheobronchoplasty for Severe Tracheobronchomalacia
- Airway Stents for Airway Obstruction: A Retrospective Outcome and Safety Analysis of Different Stents used to treat Airway Obstruction
- Majid A, Guerrero J, Feller-Kopman D, Ashiku S, Gangadharan S, Michaud G, Herth F, Ernst A. Tracheoplasty for Severe Tracheobronchomalacia: A Prospective Outcome Analysis. CHEST.2008; 134: 801-807
- Majid A.,Fernandez-Bussy S, Kent M, Folch E, Cheng G, Gangadharan S. External Fixation of Proximal Tracheal Airway Stents: A Modified Technique. Annals of Thoracic Surgery. 2012;93:e167-169
- Majid, A. Sosa A., Ernst A, Feller-Kopman D, Folch E, Singh A, Gangadharan S. Pulmonary Function and Flow-Volume Loop Patterns in Patients with Tracheobronchomalacia. Respiratory Care 2013;58(9):1521–1526.
- Majid, A, Palkar A, Myers R, Berger R, Folch E. Cryotechnology for staged removal of self-expandable metallic airway stents. Annals of Thoracic Surgery 2013; 96(1):336-5.
- Majid A, Sosa A, Ernst A, Feller-Kopman D, Folch E. Singh A, Gangadharan S. Pulmonary Function and Flow Volume Loop Patterns in Patients with Tracheobronchomalacia. Respiratory Care 2013; 58(9): 1521-1526
- Folch E. Yamaguchi N, Vanderlaan Paul, Kocher O, Boucher D, Goldstein M, Huberman M, Kent M, Gangadharan S, Costa D, Majid A. Adequacy of lymph node transbronchial needle aspirates using convex probe endobronchial ultrasound for multiple tumor genotyping techniques in non-small-cell lung cancer. Journal of Thoracic Oncology. 2013; 8 (11):1438-1444
- Majid A, Cheng G, Kent M, Gangadharan S, Whyte R, Folch E, Evaluation of rigid bronchoscopy-guided percutaneous dilational tracheostomy: A Pilot Study. Annals of The American Thoracic Society 2014; 11(5): 789-94
- Majid A, Gaurav K, Sanchez J, Berger R, Folch E, Fernandez-Bussy S, Ernst A, Gangadharan S. Evaluation of Tracheomalacia by Dynamic Flexible Bronchoscopy: A Pilot Study. Annals American Thoracic Society 2014;11(6):951-955
- Fernández-Bussy S, Labarca G, Canals S,Caviedes I, Folch E, Majid A. Diagnostic yield of endobronchial ultrasound-guided transbronchial needle aspiration for mediastinal staging in lung cancer. J Bras Pneumol 2015;41(3):219-24.
- Cheng G, Folch E, Brik R, Gangadharan S, Mallur P,Wilson J, Husta B, Majid A. Three Dimensional Modeled T-Tube Design and Insertion in a Patient with Tracheal Dehiscence. CHEST 2015;148(4):e106-8
- Fernandez-Bussy S, Mahajan A, Folch E, Caviedez I, Guerrero J, Majid A. Tracheostomy Tube Placement: Early and Late Complications. J Bronchology and Interv Pulmonol 2015;22(4):357-64
- Fernandez-Bussy S, Labarca G, Canals S,Caviedes I, Folch E, Majid A. Diagnostic yield of Endobronchial Ultrasound Guided Transbronchial Needle Aspiration for Mediastinal Staging in Lung Cancer. J Bras Pneumol 2015;41(3):219-224
- Ochoa S, Cheng G, Folch E, Majid A. Use of Self Expanding Metallic Stents in Tracheobronchomalacia. J Bronchology Interv Pulmonol 2015;22(3):e-9-11
- Fernández-Bussy S, Labarca G, Caviedes I, Folch E, Majid A. Bronchial thermoplasty for severe asthma: Initial experience in Chile; Arch Bronconeumol. Arch Bronconeumol. 2016 Jan;52(1):52
- Majid A, Kheir F, Fashjian M, Chatterji S, Fernandez-Bussy S, Ochoa S, Cheng G, Folch E. Tunneled pleural catheter placement with and without talc poudrage for treatment of pleural effusions due to congestive heart failure. Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2016 Feb;13(2):212-6.
- Cheng GZ, Jose Estepar RS, Folch E, Onieva JO, Gangadharan S, Majid A. 3D Printing and 3D Slicer - Powerful Tools in Understanding and Treating Structural Lung Disease. Chest. 2016 May;149(5):1136-42
- Sciurba FC, Criner GJ, Strange C, Shah PL, Michaud G, Connolly TA, Deslée G, Tillis WP, Delage A, Marquette CH, Krishna G, Kalhan R, Ferguson JS, Jantz M, Maldonado F, McKenna R, Majid A, Rai N, Gay S, Dransfield MT, Angel L, Maxfield R, Herth FJ, Wahidi MM, Mehta A, Slebos DJ; RENEW Study Research Group.Effect of Endobronchial Coils vs Usual Care on Exercise Tolerance in Patients With Severe Emphysema: The RENEW Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA. 2016 May 24-31;315(20):2178-89.
- Inaty H, Folch E, Berger R, Fernandez-Bussy S, Chatterji S, Alape D, Majid A. Unimodality and Multimodality Cryodebridement for Airway Obstruction. A Single-Center Experience with Safety and Efficacy. Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2016 Jun;13(6):856-61
- Majid A, Kheir F, Folch A, Fernandez-Bussy S, Chatterji S, Maskey A, Fashjian M, Cheng G, Ochoa S, Alape D, Folch E. Concurrent Intrapleural Installation of Tissue Plasminogen Activator and DNAse for Pleural Infection: A Single-Center Experience. Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2016 Sep;13(9):1512-8
- Majid A, Ochoa S, Chatterji S, Fernandez-Bussy S, Kheir F, Rivera E, Cheng G, Folch E. Safety and Efficacy of Tissue Plasminogen Activator (tPA) and Deoxyribonuclease (DNase) for Complicated Pleural Effusions Secondary to Abdominal Pathology. Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2017 Jan 12. [Epub ahead of print]
- Chupp G, Laviolette M, Cohn L, McEvoy C, Bansal S, Shifren A, Khatri S, Grubb GM, McMullen E, Strauven R, Kline JN; Other members of the PAS2 Study Group.. Long-term outcomes of bronchial thermoplasty in subjects with severe asthma: a comparison of 3-year follow-up results from two prospective multicentre studies. Eur Respir J. 2017 Aug 31;50(2).