Alison Witkin, MD
Instructor in Medicine
Area of Expertise: Medical Education, or Academic Clinical Medicine
Dr. Witkin’s clinical and research interests focus on patients with pulmonary hypertension and she is the associate director of the MGH Pulmonary Hypertension and Thromboendarterectomy Program. She has a particular interest in both acute and chronic thromboembolic disease. She is a member of the MGH Pulmonary Embolism Response Team (PERT) and serves as the co-chair of the communications committee for the National PERT Consortium. She is particularly interested in the recovery from acute PE and sees patients in a follow up PE clinic to help with early identification of patients with incomplete recovery.
Awards and Recognition
Dr. Witkin is the co-chair of the PERT Consortium communications committee.
More information can be found on Dr. Witkin's Harvard Catalyst Profile.
- Triage of patients with acute pulmonary embolism
- Clinical implications of pulmonary artery dilation.
- Witkin A, Wilcox SR, Chang Y et al. Impact of chronic right ventricular pressure overload in short-term outcomes of acute pulmonary embolism: A retrospective analysis. J Crit Care. 2019;51:1-5. PMID 30673622
- Farber HW, McDermott S, Witkin AS et al. Case 11-2018: A 48-Year-Old woman with recurrent venous thromboembolism and pulmonary artery aneurysm. N Engl J Med. 2018;12:378(15):1430-1438. PMID 29414962
- Sihag S, Le B, Witkin AS, et al. Quantifying the learning curve for pulmonary thromboendartectomy. J Cardiothorac Surg. 2017; 12(1): 121. PMID 29284512.
- McNeill JN, Witkin AS, Chang Y, Kabrhel C, Channick RN. Does the time of day a pulmonary embolism response team is activated affect time to intervention or outcome? Chest. 2017;152(6):1353-1354. PMID 29223267.
- Witkin AS. Acute and chronic pulmonary embolism: the role of the pulmonary embolism response team. Curr Opin Cardiol. 2017;32(6):672-678. PMID 28786863.
- Brady AK, O’Rourke P, Kopayashi T, Witkin AS, et al. A novel resident-led curriculum for night float rotations. J Grad Med Educ. 2015;7(2):289-90. PMID 26221460.
- Witkin AS, Channick RN. Chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension: the end result of pulmonary embolism. Curr Cardiol Rep. 2015;17(8):63. PMID 26099554.