Christopher J. Richards, MD
Instructor in Medicine
Areas of Expertise: Academic Clinical Medicine
Dr. Richards has a large an active sub-specialty practice in the management of adult Cystic Fibrosis, non-CF bronchiectasis and non-tuberculous mycobacterial (NTM) pulmonary infections. He is a fellow of the CF Foundation (CFF) and a member of the Program for Adult Care Excellence at the CFF. He is site-PI on several multi-center industry sponsored clinical trials in CFTR modulator therapy as well as studies from the CFF on outcomes in CF. Dr. Richards has written reviews and case studies in the management of NTM infections in CF and is a local expert in this area.
Awards and Recognition
Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Program Adult Care Excellence (PACE) award recipient 2019
Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Protocol Review Committee Member 2019
Best young investigator award North American Cystic Fibrosis Conference 2018
Cystic Fibrosis Foundation 1st and 2nd year clinical training fellowship 2017-2018
Chief Primary Care Resident West Roxbury Veterans Affairs Hospital 2015
More information can be found on Dr. Richard's Harvard Catalyst Profile.
Dr. Richards’ research is currently focused on the management of substance misuse disorder among CF patients and has several cross-collaborative projects with the MGH department of Pediatrics and Psychiatry.
- Mojica J, Richards C, Husseini J, Hariri L. Case 40-2018: A 47-year-old woman with recurrent sinusitis, cough and bronchiectasis. New England Journal of Medicine. 2018;379(26):2558-2565.
- Richards C and Olivier K. Nontuberculous Mycobacterium in Cystic Fibrosis. Seminars in Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine 2019 [in-press].
- Richards CJ, Bach KT, Nadeau J, Dorkin H, Uluer A, Yonker L. Outcomes of Physical Therapist Administered Home Chest Therapy for Children and Adults with Cystic Fibrosis. Annual Conference of the American Thoracic Society; 2017; Washington, DC.
- Richards CJ, Sicilian L, Neuringer I. Outcomes of Influenza and Respiratory Viral Infections in Adult CF Patients. North American Cystic Fibrosis Conference; 2017; Indianapolis, IN.
- Richards CJ, Bach KT, Nadeau J, Dorkin H, Uluer A, Yonker L. Outcomes of Physical Therapist Administered Home Chest Therapy for Children and Adults with Cystic Fibrosis. North American Cystic Fibrosis Conference; 2017; Indianapolis, IN.
- Richards CJ, Gandhi RG, Elshaboury RH, Lee H, Yonker L. Single Center Experience with Tobramycin Dosed by Level Once Daily. North American Cystic Fibrosis Conference; 2018; Denver, CO.
- Coueiri TK, Je Y, Sonpavde G, Richards CJ, Galsky MD, Nguyen PL, Schutz F, Heng DY, Kaymakcalan MD. Incidence and risk of treatment-related mortality in cancer patients treated with the mammalian target of rapamycin inhibitors. Ann Oncol 2013; 24(8):2092-7.
- Shutz FB, Je Y, Richards CJ, Choueiri T. Meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials for the incidence and risk of treatment-related mortality in patients with cancer treated with vascular endothelial growth factor tyrosine kinase inhibitors. J Clin Oncol 2012; 30(8):871-7.
- Richards CJ, Je Y, Schutz FA, Heng DY, Dallabrida SM, Moslehi JJ, Choueiri TK. Incidence and risk of congestive heart failure in patients with renal and non-renal cell carcinoma treated with sunitinib. J Clin Oncol 2011; 29(25):3450-6.
- Richards CJ, Pantanowitz L, Dezube B. Antimicrobial and non-antimicrobial tetracyclines in human cancer trials. Pharmacol Res 2011; 63(2):151-6.
- Wang T, Richards C, Hamer D. Enhancement of HIV infection by cellulose sulfate. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 2008; 24(7):925-9.
- Richards C, Wang T, Hamer D. Letter to the Editor: Cellulose sulfate for prevention of HIV infection. NEJM 2008; 359(19):2066-68.
- Richards C, Schully K, McKinney M, Adams W, McHugh L, Hamer D. Activity of a novel HIV fusion inhibiting peptide and its use as a live microbial microbicide. XVI International AIDS Conference, Toronto, Canada; July 2006.
- Richards C, Schully K, Hamer. Broad activity and kinetics of an affordable fusion inhibiting peptide. Keystone Symposium: HIV Pathogenesis, Whistler, Canada; Feb 2007.
- Dignam C, Richards C, Zopf J, Wenzel T. An enantioselective NMR shift reagent for cationic aromatics. Org Lett 2005; 7(9):1773-6.
- Dignam C, Richards C, Zopf J, Wacker J, Wenzel J. Water-soluble calixresorcarenes as enantioselective NMR shift reagents for aromatic compounds. J Org Chem 2005; 70(20):8071-8.
- Richards C, Dignam C, Wenzel T. Chiral amino acid derivatives of calixarenes for use as chiral solvating agents in NMR spectroscopy. International Symposium on Chirality, New York, NY; July 2004.
- Richards C, Wenzel T, Dignam C. L-proline derivatives of tetrasulfonated calixresorcarenes and their lanthanide complexes as CSAs in NMR spectroscopy. 229th American Chemical Society National Meeting, San Diego, CA; Mar 2005.