Crystal M. North, MD MPH
Instructor in Medicine
Dr. North’s research focuses on understanding the epidemiology of chronic lung disease in resource-limited settings. In particular, she is investigating the role of chronic HIV infection and ambient air pollution on the prevalence and severity of obstructive lung disease in rural Uganda.
Awards and Recognition
Dr. North’s work was recognized with a Fogarty Global Health Fellowship in 2015, an invited lecture at the Uganda Thoracic Society in 2015, an NIH/NIEHS Loan Repayment Award in 2017, abstract awards for presentations at the American Thoracic Society and International AIDS Society scientific meetings, and travel awards through Massachusetts General Hospital Global Health and the Partners Centers of Expertise.
- COPD and HIV in Mbarara, Uganda: An epidemiologic study of prevalence, severity, and associated risks
- Air pollution, systemic inflammation, and chronic lung disease in rural Uganda
- North CM, Christiani DC. Women and lung cancer: what is new? Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2013;25(2):87-94. PMID: 24216523.
- Stahl DL, North CM, Lewis A, Kimberly WT, Hess DR. Case scenario: power of positive end-expiratory pressure: use of esophageal manometry to illustrate pulmonary physiology in an obese patient. Anesthesiology. 2014;121(6):1320-1326. PMID: 25057842.
- Hsu DJ, North CM, Brode S, Celli B. Identification of barriers to influenza vaccination in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: analysis of the 2012 behavioral risk factors surveillance system. Chronic Obstr Pulm Dis. 2016;3(3):620-627. PMID: 27981230.
- Siddharthan T, North CM, Attia EF, Christiani DC, Checkley W, West TE. Global health education in pulmonary and critical care medicine fellowships. Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2016;13(6):779-783. PMID: 26974557.
- North CM, Valeri L, Hunt PW, Mocello AR, Martin J, Boum Y, Haberer JE, Bangsberg DR, Christiani DC, Siedner MJ. Cooking fuel and respiratory symptoms among people living with HIV in rural Uganda. ERJ Open Res. 2017;3(2). pii: 00094-2016. PMID: 28534032.
- North CM, Allen JG, Okello S, Sentongo R, Kakuhikire B, Ryan ET, Tsai AC, Christiani DC, Siedner MJ. HIV infection, pulmonary tuberculosis, and COPD in rural Uganda: a cross-sectional study. Lung 2018;196(1):49-57. PMID 29260309.
- North CM, Muyanja D, Kakuhikire B, Tsai A, Tracy RP, Hunt PW, Kwon DS, Christiani DC, Okello S, Siedner MJ. Systemic inflammation, immune activation and impaired lung function among people living with HIV in rural Uganda. Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 2018 Apr 20 [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 29683991.