George A. Alba, MD
Dr. Alba’s research focuses on (1) mechanisms of pulmonary vascular disease, specifically how platelet-endothelial cell interactions may lead to chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension, and (2) pulmonary complications of immunotherapy, specifically how we can better predict, diagnose, and treat pneumonitis in patients with cancer that receive immune checkpoint inhibitors. Dr. Alba’s clinical interests include pulmonary vascular diseases, pulmonary diseases, critical care medicine, medical simulation, and point-of-care ultrasound.
Awards and Recognition
Dr. Alba is the recipient of accomplished teaching citations, a patient safety star related to efforts in quality improvement, and has been awarded a National Research Service Award through the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute of the NIH to study the role of NEDD9 in chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension.
A full list of Dr. Alba’s published work can be found on My Bibliography.
More information can be found on Dr. Alba's Harvard Catalyst profile.
- NEDD9 promotes thrombosis and vascular remodeling in chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension
- Improving the identification, risk stratification, and management of pulmonary complications of immune checkpoint inhibitors
- Oldham WM, Oliveira RKF, Wang RS, Opotowsky AR, Rubins DM, Hainer J, Wertheim BM, Alba GA, Choudhary G, Tornyos A, MacRae CA, Loscalzo J, Leopold JA, Waxman AB, Olschewski H, Kovacs G, Systrom DM, Maron BA. Network Analysis to Risk Stratify Patients With Exercise Intolerance. Circulation Research. 2018; 122(6):864-876.
- Sacks CA, Alba GA, Miloslavsky EM. The Evolution of Procedural Competency in Internal Medicine Training. JAMA Internal Medicine. 2017; 177(12):1713-1714.
- Nakamura K, Alba GA, Scheske JA, Meyersohn NM, Stone JR, Vlahakes GJ, Wright CD, Ghoshhajra BB, Dudzinski DM. A 57-Year-Old Man with Insidious Dyspnea and Nonpleuritic Chest and Back Pain. Chest. 2016; 150(2):e41-7.
- Alba GA, Truong QA, Gaggin HK, Gandhi PU, De Berardinis B, Magrini L, Bajwa EK, Di Somma S, Januzzi JL Jr. Diagnostic and Prognostic Utility of Procalcitonin in Patients Presenting to the Emergency Department with Dyspnea. The American Journal of Medicine. 2016; 129(1):96-104.e7.
- Miloslavsky EM, Sargsyan Z, Heath JK, Kohn R, Alba GA, Gordon JA, Currier PF. A simulation-based resident-as-teacher program: The impact on teachers and learners. Journal of Hospital Medicine. 2015; 10(12):767-72.
- Alba GA, Kelmenson DA. Optimising debriefing for technology-enhanced simulation. Medical Education. 2014; 48(7):648-50.
- Alba GA, Kelmenson DA, Noble VE, Murray AF, Currier PF. Faculty staff-guided versus self-guided ultrasound training for internal medicine residents. Medical Education. 2013; 47(11):1099-108.
- Parikh RB, Alba GA, Zukerberg LR. Tense ascites in a postpartum woman. Gastroenterology. 2013; 144(2):272, 467.
- Ng A, Wong M, Viviano B, Erlich JM, Alba G, Pflederer C, Jay PY, Saunders S. Loss of glypican-3 function causes growth factor-dependent defects in cardiac and coronary vascular development. Developmental Biology. 2009; 335(1):208-15.