George A. Alba, MD
Instructor in Medicine
Areas of Expertise: Investigation, Academic Clinical Medicine
Dr. Alba’s research focuses on mechanisms of pulmonary vascular disease, specifically how platelet-endothelial cell interactions promote chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension, in order to develop novel therapeutics for patients with limited treatment options. He is also interested in the optimal use of ultrasonography and medical simulation to enhance procedural training for internal medicine residents and critical care fellows. Dr. Alba’s clinical interests include exercise intolerance and unexplained dyspnea, pulmonary vascular diseases, pulmonary diseases, critical care medicine, medical simulation, and point-of-care ultrasound.
Awards and Recognition
Dr. Alba is the recipient of accomplished teaching citations and a patient safety star related to efforts in quality improvement. As a fellow he was awarded a National Research Service Award through the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute of the NIH to study platelet-endothelial adhesion in pulmonary vascular disease. He is a current recipient of a MGH Center for Diversity and Inclusion Physician Scientist Development Award to further characterize the role of plasma NEDD9 in patients with pulmonary vascular disease.
A full list of Dr. Alba’s published work can be found on My Bibliography.
More information can be found on Dr. Alba's Harvard Catalyst Profile.
- Developing a novel therapeutic to inhibit NEDD9-mediated platelet-endothelial adhesion in the pulmonary circulation
- Determining the diagnostic and prognostic role of plasma NEDD9 in patients with pulmonary vascular disease
- Building a prospective biorepository of human samples undergoing right heart catheterization and pulmonary thromboendarterectomy
- Medical simulation and ultrasonography for improving procedural training in internal medicine residency and critical care fellowship
- Sacks CA, Kamalian S, Masiakos PT, Alba GA, Patalas ED. Case 31-2018: A 37-Year-Old Man with a Self-Inflicted Gunshot Wound. N Engl J Med. 2018 Oct 11;379(15):1464-1472.
- Alba GA, Dudzinski DM. Case 31-2018: A Man with a Self-Inflicted Gunshot Wound. N Engl J Med. 2019 Jan 24;380(4):400-1.
- Wertheim BM, Lin YD, Zhang YY, Samokhin AO, Alba GA, Arons E, Yu PB, Maron BA. Isolating pulmonary microvascular endothelial cells ex vivo: Implications for pulmonary arterial hypertension, and a caution on the use of commercial biomaterials. PLoS One. 2019;14(2):e0211909.
- Samokhin AO, Stephens T, Wertheim BM, Wang RS, Vargas SO, Yung LM, Cao M, Brown M, Arons E, Dieffenbach PB, Fewell JG, Matar M, Bowman FP, Haley KJ, Alba GA, Marino SM, Kumar R, Rosas IO, Waxman AB, Oldham WM, Khanna D, Graham BB, Seo S, Gladyshev VN, Yu PB, Fredenburgh LE, Loscalzo J, Leopold JA, Maron BA. NEDD9 targets COL3A1 to promote endothelial fibrosis and pulmonary arterial hypertension. Sci Transl Med. 2018 Jun 13;10(445).
- Oldham WM, Oliveira RKF, Wang RS, Opotowsky AR, Rubins DM, Hainer J, Wertheim BM, Alba GA, Choudhary G, Tornyos A, MacRae CA, Loscalzo J, Leopold JA, Waxman AB, Olschewski H, Kovacs G, Systrom DM, Maron BA. Network Analysis to Risk Stratify Patients With Exercise Intolerance. Circulation Research. 2018; 122(6):864-876.
- Sacks CA, Alba GA, Miloslavsky EM. The Evolution of Procedural Competency in Internal Medicine Training. JAMA Internal Medicine. 2017; 177(12):1713-1714.
- Nakamura K, Alba GA, Scheske JA, Meyersohn NM, Stone JR, Vlahakes GJ, Wright CD, Ghoshhajra BB, Dudzinski DM. A 57-Year-Old Man with Insidious Dyspnea and Nonpleuritic Chest and Back Pain. Chest. 2016; 150(2):e41-7.
- Alba GA, Truong QA, Gaggin HK, Gandhi PU, De Berardinis B, Magrini L, Bajwa EK, Di Somma S, Januzzi JL Jr. Diagnostic and Prognostic Utility of Procalcitonin in Patients Presenting to the Emergency Department with Dyspnea. The American Journal of Medicine. 2016; 129(1):96-104.e7.
- Miloslavsky EM, Sargsyan Z, Heath JK, Kohn R, Alba GA, Gordon JA, Currier PF. A simulation-based resident-as-teacher program: The impact on teachers and learners. Journal of Hospital Medicine. 2015; 10(12):767-72.
- Alba GA, Kelmenson DA. Optimising debriefing for technology-enhanced simulation. Medical Education. 2014; 48(7):648-50.
- Alba GA, Kelmenson DA, Noble VE, Murray AF, Currier PF. Faculty staff-guided versus self-guided ultrasound training for internal medicine residents. Medical Education. 2013; 47(11):1099-108.
- Parikh RB, Alba GA, Zukerberg LR. Tense ascites in a postpartum woman. Gastroenterology. 2013; 144(2):272, 467.
- Ng A, Wong M, Viviano B, Erlich JM, Alba G, Pflederer C, Jay PY, Saunders S. Loss of glypican-3 function causes growth factor-dependent defects in cardiac and coronary vascular development. Developmental Biology. 2009; 335(1):208-15.