Jennifer P. Stevens, MD MS
Associate Director, MICU
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Dr. Stevens’s is a healthcare delivery scientist. Her most recent research has explored the opioid epidemic in ICUs across the country; the mortality benefit of inpatient physicians knowing their patients; the patient outcomes associated with specialty care; and new ways to identify when our ICUs are strained to the point of patient harm. She is the Director of the Center for Healthcare Delivery Science at the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center.
- A multistakeholder examination of the drivers and value of inpatient consultation (K08, AHRQ)
- Identifying risky clinical states to reduce preventable harms for hospitalized patients (Doris Duke Charitable Foundation)
- Quantifying dyspnea in hospitalized patients and the associated patient outcomes
- Creation of a patient-sensitive checklist to improve delivery of high quality care in the ICU
- Stevens JP, Daniel TM. Decision Analysis for the Chemoprophylactic Treatment of Multidrug-Resistant Tuberculosis Infection in HIV-Uninfected Individuals with Ciprofloxacin and Pyrazinamide. Chest 1995; 108: 712-717.
- Stevens JP, Daniel TM. Bacille de Calmette et Guerin (BCG) Immunization of Health Care Workers Exposed to Multidrug-Resistant Tuberculosis: A Decision Analysis. Tubercle and Lung Disease 1996; 77: 315-321.
- Welke KF, Stevens JP, Schults WC, Nelson EC, Beggs VL, Nugent WC. Patient characteristics can predict improvement in functional health after elective coronary artery bypass grafting. Ann Thorac Surg. 2003; 75: 1849-1855.
- Hunziker S, Stevens J, Howell MD. Red cell distribution width and mortality in newly hospitalized patients. Am J Med. 2012; 125(3): 283-91.
- Stevens JP, Johansson C, Schonberg MA, Howell MD. Elements of a high quality inpatient consultation in the intensive care unit: a qualitative study. Annals of the American Thoracic Society, 2013; 10(3):220-227.
- Stevens JP, Kachniarz B, Wright SB, Gillis J, Talmor D, Clardy P, Howell MD. When Policy Gets It Right: Variability in U.S. Hospitals’ Diagnosis of Ventilator-Associated Pneumonia, Critical Care Medicine, 2014; 42:497-503. Featured editorial: Klompas M, Kalil AC, “The ‘Last Breath’ of the Ventilator-Associated Pneumonia Surveillance Definition”, Critical Care Medicine, 2014; 42:722-723.
- Stevens JP, Johansson AC, Lennes IT, Hsu D, Tess A, Howell, MD, Long-term culture change related to rapid response implementation, Medical Education, 2014; 48(12):1211-9.
- Stevens JP, Silva G, Gills J, Klompas M, Talmor, D, Howell MD. Automated surveillance for ventilator-associated events. Chest, 2014; 146(6):1612-1618.
- Stevens JP, Kachniarz B, O’Reilly K, Howell MD. Seasonal variation in perceptions of physician competence in the intensive care unit, Academic Medicine, 2015; 90(4): 472-478.
- Kazberouk A, Martin BI, Stevens JP, McGuire K. Validation of an administrative coding algorithm for classifying surgical indication and operative features of spine surgery. Spine, 2015; 40(2): 114-120.
- Stevens JP, Nyweide D, Maresh S, Zaslavsky A, Shrank W, Howell MD, Landon BE. Variation in inpatient consultation among older adults in the United States. Journal of General Internal Medicine, 2015; 30: 992-999.
- Herzig SJ, Rothberg MB, Guess JR, Stevens JP, Marshall J, Gurwitz JH, Marcantonio ER. Antipsychotic use in hospitalized patients: rates, indications, and predictors. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 2016; 64: 299-305.
- Marshall JM, Herzig SJ, Howell MD, Le SH, Mathew C, Kats JS, Stevens JP. Antipsychotic utilization in the intensive care unit and in transitions of care, Journal of Critical Care, 2016, 33:119-124.
- Stevens JP, Baker K, Howell MD, Banzett RB. Prevalence and predictive value of dyspnea ratings in hospitalized patients: pilot studies, PLOS ONE, 2016, 11(4):e0152601.
- Hsu D, McCarthy EP, Stevens JP, Mukamal KJ. Hospitalization, costs, and outcomes associated with heroin and prescription opioid overdoses in the United States 2001-2012, Addiction, 2017, 112(9): 1558-1564.
- Stevens, JP, Levi, R, Sands, K. Changing the patient safety paradigm, Journal of patient safety, published ahead of print, 2017.
- Stevens, JP, Noninvasive ventilation across hospitals: an example of healthcare delivery science, Annals of the American Thoracic Society, 2017; 14(11): 1634-1635.
- Stevens JP, Wall M, Novack L, Marshall J, Hsu D, Howell, M. The critical care crisis of opioid overdoses in the United States, Annals of the American Thoracic Society, 2017, 14(12): 1803-1809. Featured editorial: Mehta, A, Weinstein, Z, Walkey, A. The untold toll of the opioid crisis on intensive care units in the United States, Annals of the American Thoracic Society, 2017, 14 (12): 1763-1765.
- Stevens JP, Nyweide D, Maresh S, Hatfield L, Howell M, Landon B. Hospital resource use and outcomes among hospitalists, primary care providers, and other generalists, JAMA Internal Medicine, 2017, 177(12):1781-1787. Featured editorial: Willet L, Landefeld C S, “The costs and benefits of hospital care by primary care physicians, continuity counts”, JAMA Internal Medicine, 2017, 177(12):1788-1789.
- Stevens, JP, Law, A, Giannakoulis J. What is acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS)?. JAMA, 2018; 319(7): 732.