Krishna Reddy, MD
Instructor in Medicine
Areas of Expertise: Investigation
Dr. Reddy’s research interests include tobacco, HIV, and tuberculosis, both individually and in combination. He applies methods of simulation modeling, epidemiology, and cost-effectiveness analysis to study clinical and economic outcomes in the US and in other countries. The goal of his research is to provide evidence- and model-based approaches to clinical decision-making and public health policy. Dr. Reddy is a faculty investigator in the Medical Practice Evaluation Center (www.massgeneral.org/mpec) and the Tobacco Research and Treatment Center (www.massgeneral.org/trtc), both at MGH.
Awards and Recognition
Dr. Reddy’s work has been reported by NBC News, Reuters, and WBUR/National Public Radio. He has been invited to present his work as a consultant to the World Health Organization.
A full list of Dr. Reddy’s published work can be found on My Bibliography.
More information can be found on Dr. Reddy's Harvard Catalyst Profile.
- Clinical and economic outcomes of smoking and smoking cessation
- Model-based projections of uptake and outcomes of e-cigarettes
- Smoking-related diseases in people with HIV
- Tuberculosis diagnostic and treatment strategies in resource-limited settings: cost-effectiveness analysis
- Model-based studies of care strategies in pulmonary and critical care medicine
- Lee DJ, Kumarasamy N, Resch SC, Sivaramakrishnan GN, Mayer KH, Tripathy S, Paltiel AD, Freedberg KA, Reddy KP. Rapid, point-of-care diagnosis of tuberculosis with novel Truenat assay: cost-effectiveness analysis for India’s public sector. PLoS One. In press.
- Reddy KP, Gupta-Wright A, Fielding KL, Costantini S, Zheng A, Corbett EL, Yu L, van Oosterhout JJ, Resch SC, Wilson DP, Horsburgh CR, Wood R, Alufandika-Moyo M, Peters JA, Freedberg KA, Lawn SD, Walensky RP. Cost-effectiveness of urine-based tuberculosis screening in hospitalised patients with HIV in Africa: a microsimulation modelling study. Lancet Glob Health. 2019 Feb;7:e200-e208. DOI: 10.1016/S2214-109X(18)30436-4.
- Murray EJ, Robins JM, Seage GR, Lodi S, Hyle EP, Reddy KP, Freedberg KA, Hernán MA. Using observational data to calibrate simulation models. Med Decis Making. 2018 Feb;38(2):212-224. DOI: 10.1177/0272989X17738753.
- Reddy KP, Kong CY, Hyle EP, Baggett TP, Huang M, Parker RA, Paltiel AD, Losina E, Weinstein MC, Freedberg KA, Walensky RP. Lung cancer mortality associated with smoking and smoking cessation among people living with HIV in the United States. JAMA Intern Med. 2017 Nov 1;177(11):1613-1621. DOI: 10.1001/jamainternmed.2017.4349.
- Reddy KP, Parker RA, Losina E, Baggett TP, Paltiel AD, Rigotti NA, Weinstein MC, Freedberg KA, Walensky RP. Impact of cigarette smoking and smoking cessation on life expectancy among people with HIV: a US-based modeling study. J Infect Dis. 2016 Dec 1;214(11):1672-1681. DOI: 10.1093/infdis/jiw430.
- Gupta-Wright A, Fielding KL, van Oosterhout JJ, Wilson DK, Corbett EL, Flach C, Reddy KP, Walensky RP, Peters JA, Alufandika-Moyo M, Lawn SD. Rapid urine-based screening for tuberculosis to reduce AIDS-related mortality in hospitalized patients in Africa (the STAMP trial): study protocol for a randomised controlled trial. BMC Infect Dis. 2016 Sep 22;16(1):501. DOI: 10.1186/s12879-016-1837-z.
- Reddy KP, Bajwa EK, Parker RA, Onderdonk AB, Walensky RP. Relationship between upper respiratory tract influenza test result and clinical outcomes among critically ill influenza patients. Open Forum Infect Dis. 2016 Mar 8;3(1):ofw023. DOI: 10.1093/ofid/ofw023.
- Fitzwater S, Caviedes L, Gilman R, Coronel J, LaChira D, Salazar C, Saravia J, Reddy K, Friedland J, Moore D. Prolonged infectiousness of tuberculosis patients in a directly observed therapy short-course program with standardized therapy. Clin Infect Dis. 2010 Aug 15;51(4):371-378. DOI: 10.1086/655127.
- Reddy KP, Brady MF, Gilman RH, Coronel J, Ñavincopa M, Ticona E, Chavez G, Sánchez E, Rojas C, Solari L, Valencia J, Pinedo Y, Benites C, Friedland JS, Moore DA. Microscopic observation drug susceptibility assay for tuberculosis screening before isoniazid preventive therapy in HIV-infected persons. Clin Infect Dis. 2010 Apr 1;50(7):988-996. DOI: 10.1086/651081.
- Reddy KP, Markowitz JE, Ruchelli ED, Baldassano RN, Brown KA. Lamina propria and circulating interleukin-8 in newly and previously diagnosed pediatric inflammatory bowel disease patients. Dig Dis Sci. 2007 Feb;52(2):365-372. DOI: 10.1007/s10620-006-9322-y.