Mary B. Rice, MD MPH
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Dr. Rice’s research focuses on preventable causes of chronic lung disease in children and adults, including environmental exposures such as air pollution, climate, pollen and microbes, and behavioral and nutritional risk factors. Dr. Rice directs a clinical and translational research program in respiratory disease that applies advanced statistical and sampling methodologies, and leverages BIDMC clinical programs in chronic lung disease and multiple U.S.-based prospective cohort studies of children and adults. Her research is funded by the National Institute for Environmental Health Sciences, the American Thoracic Society Foundation, and the American Lung Association.
Awards and Recognition
Dr. Rice is the recipient of the 2016 American Thoracic Society (ATS) David Bates award for her contributions to the field of environmental, occupational and population health. She received the Harvard-wide Lynne Reid and Eleanor Miles Shore fellowship for scholarship in medicine in 2016, an award which was established to acknowledge the contributions of women to Harvard Medical School. She was the vice chair (2015-2018) and is now chair (2018-) of the ATS Environmental Health Policy Committee, and is an active member of several ATS assembly committees. Dr. Rice is the co-editor of the section on environmental science and health of the Annals of the American Thoracic Society.
A full list of Dr. Rice’s published work can be found on My Bibliography.
More information can be found on Dr. Rice's Harvard Catalyst Profile.
- Air Pollution and Quantitative CT Measures of Airway Disease, ILD and Vascular Morphology in the Framingham Heart Study, PI
- Study of Pollution and COPD Exacerbation, PI
- Environmental exposures and asthma among children of Project Viva, a Boston-area birth cohort, co-PI
- Risk factors for abnormal radiographic pulmonary vascular morphology in the Framingham Heart Study, Mentor of fellow project
- Obesity, exercise and exhaled NO among early teens, Mentor of resident project
- Asthma, allergy and exhaled NO among early teens, Mentor of resident project
- Racial, Ethnic, and Socioeconomic Differences in Childhood Diet and Teenage Food Allergy, Mentor of resident project
- Rice MB, Rifas-Shiman SL, Litonjua AA, Gillman MW, Liebman N, Kloog I, Luttmann-Gibson H, Coull BA, Schwartz J, Koutrakis P, Oken E, Mittleman MA, Gold DR. Lifetime air pollution exposure and asthma in a pediatric birth cohort. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2018 Feb 02. PMID: 29410045.
- Rice MB, Li W, Dorans KS, Wilker EH, Ljungman P, Gold DR, Schwartz J, Koutrakis P, Kloog I, Araki T, Hatabu H, Estepar RSJ, O'Connor GT, Mittleman MA, Washko GR. Exposure to Traffic Emissions and Fine Particulate Matter and Computed Tomography Measures of the Lung and Airways. Epidemiology. 2018 Jan 30. PMID: 29384790.
- Rice MB, Mittleman MA. Dust storms, heart attacks, and protecting those at risk. Eur Heart J. 2017 Nov 14; 38(43):3209-3210. PMID: 29029208.
- Rice MB, Samet JM. Environmental Health: Lessons from the Past and Looking to the Future. Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2017 Sep; 14(9):1378-1382. PMID: 28820615.
- Li W, Dorans KS, Wilker EH, Rice MB, Ljungman PL, Schwartz JD, Coull BA, Koutrakis P, Gold DR, Keaney JF, Vasan RS, Benjamin EJ, Mittleman MA. Short-Term Exposure to Ambient Air Pollution and Biomarkers of Systemic Inflammation: The Framingham Heart Study. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2017 Sep; 37(9):1793-1800. PMID: 28751572.
- Dorans KS, Wilker EH, Li W, Rice MB, Ljungman PL, Schwartz J, Coull BA, Kloog I, Koutrakis P, D'Agostino RB, Massaro JM, Hoffmann U, O'Donnell CJ, Mittleman MA. Residential proximity to major roads, exposure to fine particulate matter and aortic calcium: the Framingham Heart Study, a cohort study. BMJ Open. 2017 03 16; 7(3):e013455. PMID: 28302634.
- Rice M. Doctor, It's So Hot I Can't Breathe! Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2016 Dec; 13(12):2107-2108. PMID: 27925787.
- Rice MB, Rifas-Shiman SL, Litonjua AA, Oken E, Gillman MW, Kloog I, Luttmann-Gibson H, Zanobetti A, Coull BA, Schwartz J, Koutrakis P, Mittleman MA, Gold DR. Lifetime Exposure to Ambient Pollution and Lung Function in Children. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2016 Apr 15; 193(8):881-8. PMID: 26575800; PMCID: PMC4849180 [Available on 04/15/17].
- Ljungman PL, Wilker EH, Rice MB, Austin E, Schwartz J, Gold DR, Koutrakis P, Benjamin EJ, Vita JA, Mitchell GF, Vasan RS, Hamburg NM, Mittleman MA. The Impact of Multipollutant Clusters on the Association Between Fine Particulate Air Pollution and Microvascular Function. Epidemiology. 2016 Mar; 27(2):194-201. PMID: 26562062.
- Ross KR, Rice MB, Takaro TK. The Clean Power Plan. A Public Health Victory Needing Medical Attention. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2016 Feb 15; 193(4):359-61. PMID: 26731244.
- Papatheodorou SI, Buettner H, Rice MB, Mittleman MA. Recent Marijuana Use and Associations With Exhaled Nitric Oxide and Pulmonary Function in Adults in the United States. Chest. 2016 06; 149(6):1428-35. PMID: 26836917.
- Rice MB, Malhotra A. The air we breathe and lung disease. J Thorac Dis. 2015 Aug; 7(8):E245-7. PMID: 26380790; PMCID: PMC4561267.
- Rice MB, Ljungman PL, Wilker EH, Dorans KS, Gold DR, Schwartz J, Koutrakis P, Washko GR, O'Connor GT, Mittleman MA. Long-term exposure to traffic emissions and fine particulate matter and lung function decline in the Framingham heart study. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2015 Mar 15; 191(6):656-64. PMID: 25590631; PMCID: PMC4384780.
- Rice MB, Guidotti TL, Cromar KR. Scientific evidence supports stronger limits on ozone. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2015 Mar 01; 191(5):501-3. PMID: 25536009.
- Rice MB. Climate change at the bedside? Observations from an ATS membership survey. Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2015 Feb; 12(2):245-6. PMID: 25706492; PMCID: PMC4342840.
- Ljungman PL, Wilker EH, Rice MB, Schwartz J, Gold DR, Koutrakis P, Vita JA, Mitchell GF, Vasan RS, Benjamin EJ, Mittleman MA, Hamburg NM. Short-term exposure to air pollution and digital vascular function. Am J Epidemiol. 2014 Sep 01; 180(5):482-9. PMID: 25100647; PMCID: PMC4143083.
- Rice MB, Rifas-Shiman SL, Oken E, Gillman MW, Ljungman PL, Litonjua AA, Schwartz J, Coull BA, Zanobetti A, Koutrakis P, Melly SJ, Mittleman MA, Gold DR. Exposure to traffic and early life respiratory infection: A cohort study. Pediatr Pulmonol. 2014 Mar 27. PMID: 24678045.
- Rice MB, Thurston GD, Balmes JR, Pinkerton KE. Climate change. A global threat to cardiopulmonary health. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2014 Mar 01; 189(5):512-9. PMID: 24400619; PMCID: PMC3977715.
- Rice MB, Ljungman PL, Wilker EH, Gold DR, Schwartz JD, Koutrakis P, Washko GR, O'Connor GT, Mittleman MA. Short-term exposure to air pollution and lung function in the Framingham Heart Study. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2013 Dec 01; 188(11):1351-7. PMID: 24200465; PMCID: PMC3919078.
- Bernstein AS, Rice MB. Lungs in a warming world: climate change and respiratory health. Chest. 2013 May; 143(5):1455-1459. PMID: 23648909.