Robert Hallowell, MD
Director, Pulmonary Ambulatory Practice
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Interstitial lung disease, Sarcoidosis, connective tissue disease associated lung diseases.
Awards and Recognition
Harvard Pulmonary and Critical Care Fellowship Teacher of the Year
More information can be found on Dr. Hallowell's Harvard Catalyst Profile.
Dr. Hallowell’s research focuses on determining the significance of auto-antibodies in the phenotype and outcomes of interstitial lung disease. He also focuses on developing the most effective treatment strategies for patients with connective tissue disease-associated ILD. He serves as the site PI and sub-PI for several clinical trials involving patients with IPF and other forms of ILD.
- Horton MR and Hallowell RW. Interstitial Lung Disease. The Johns Hopkins Internal Medicine Board Review, 4e, Ashar BH, Miller RG, Sisson SD, Eds. Elsevier, 2011.
- Horton MR and Hallowell RW. Revisiting thalidomide: fighting with caution against idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. (2012) Drugs of Today Oct;48(10):661-71.
- Collins S, Chan-Li Y, Hallowell RW, Powell JD, Horton MR. Pulmonary vaccination as a novel treatment for lung fibrosis. (2012) PLoS One 7(2):e31299.
- Hallowell RW, Reed RM, Fraig M, Horton MR, Girgis RE. Severe pulmonary hypertension in idiopathic nonspecific interstitial pneumonia. (2012) Pulm Circ 2(1):101-6.
- Black KE, Collins SL, Hagan RS, Hamblin MJ, Chan-Li Y, Hallowell RW, Powell JD, Horton MR. Hyaluronan fragments induce IFNb via a novel TLR4-TRIF-TBK1-IRF3-dependent pathway. (2013) J Inflamm (Lond) 30;10(1):23.
- Hallowell RW and Horton MR. Interstitial lung disease in patients with rheumatoid arthritis: spontaneous and drug-induced. (2014) Drugs 74(4):443-50.
- Hallowell RW, Ascherman D, Danoff S. Pulmonary Manifestations of PM/DM. (2014) Semin Respir Crit Care Med 35:239–248.
- Hallowell RW and Danoff SK. Interstitial lung disease associated with the idiopathic inflammatory myopathies and the antisynthetase syndrome: recent advances. (2014) Curr Opin Rheumatol 26(6):684-9.
- Zhao H, Chan-Li Y, Collins SL, Zhang Y, Hallowell RW, Mitzner W, Horton MR. Pulmonary delivery of docosahexaenoic acid mitigates bleomycin-induced pulmonary fibrosis. (2014) BMC Pulmonary Medicine 14:64.
- Feller-Kopman DJ and Hallowell RH. Physiology and clinical use of heliox. In: UpToDate, Bochner, BS, Hollingsworth H (Eds), UpToDate, Waltham, MA. Updated 2015.
- Hallowell RW, Amariei D, Danoff SK. Intravenous immunoglobulin as potential adjunct therapy for interstitial lung disease. (2016) Ann Amer Thor Soc 13:1682-88.
- Hallowell RW, Collins SL, Craig JM, Zheng Y, Oh M, Illei PB, Chan-Li Y, Vigeland C, Mitzner W, Scott AL, Powell JD, Horton MR. mTORC2 signaling regulates M2 macrophage differentiation and response to pathogens and adaptive thermogenesis. (2017) Nature Communications. 8:14208.
- Meghan Shea, Deepa Rangachari, Robert W. Hallowell, Norris I. Hollie, Daniel B. Costa, Paul A. Vanderlaann. Radiologic and autopsy findings in a case of fatal immune checkpoint inhibitor-associated pneumonitis. (2018) Cancer Treatment and Research Communications. 15:17-20.